The TOEFL iBT test or TOEFL exam helps you stand out confidently in English, and it comes with a clear advantage. That’s why it’s accepted by more than 11,000 universities and other institutions in over 150 countries. Accepted and preferred by universities worldwide, the TOEFL test is a high-quality, high-standard test that assures admissions officers of your readiness for the classroom and beyond. More than 35 million people worldwide have chosen the TOEFL test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency.
Conveniently offered weekly at authorized test centers near you, the computer-delivered TOEFL iBT test is the only test that measures all 4 academic English skills — reading, listening, speaking, and writing — the way they are actually used in a classroom.
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE THE TOEFL EXAM
The TOEFL iBT test is accepted and preferred Worldwide; Preferred more that 80% of Canadian, U.K, American, European and Asian universities
You can take it at Home with the Home Edition which monitored online by a human proctor. It is the same TOEFL iBT test you would take at a test center it offers you:
- More Opportunities to Register. The mandatory wait time between tests is just 3 days, and you can register online up to 2 days before your test.
- Free Practice Test. Prepare for test day with a full-length test, as part of the complete line of official test prep from the maker of the test.
- Shorter Test. The test is 30 minutes shorter, so you can finish the 3-hour test with no need to return for a second day.
- Instant Scores. View your unofficial Reading and Listening scores at the end of your test before you leave the test center.
- Faster Official Scores. Receive your full, official scores just 6 days after your test.
- MyBest™ Scores. Show your best overall test performance with MyBest scores, the combination of your best section scores from the past 2 years.
- Fair and Unbiased Scoring. All tests are marked centrally using a combination of AI and human scoring.
SECTIONS IN THE TOEFL EXAM
The TOEFL exam comprises of four main sections outlined in the table below;
|SECTION||TIME LIMIT (Minutes)||QUESTIONS||TASKS|
|Reading||54 -72||30 – 40||Read passages and respond to questions|
|Listening||41 – 57||28 – 39||Answer questions about brief lectures or classroom discussions|
|Speaking||17||4 tasks||Talk about a familiar topic and discuss material you read and listened to|
|Writing||50||2 tasks||Read a passage, listen to a recording, type your response|
PREPARE FOR YOUR TOEFL EXAM
When you decide to write the test, it is only natural that you put effort in trying to familiarize yourself with the components of the exam and this can only be achieved if you prepare for it before writing. Below are some materials recommended to achieve this purpose;
Practice with self-paced courses and personalized learning to help you do your best.
Familiarize yourself with test content or see what it’s like to take a real TOEFL iBT test.
Guides and Books
Get ready with these top-selling resources. Available as paperbacks or eBooks.
Save up to 40% on essential TOEFL prep by bundling our most popular resources.
TOEFL Go! App
Prepare for success wherever you go with this official test prep app.
YOUR ETS ACCOUNT
Your ETS account isn’t just for registering for your TOEFL iBT® test! You’ll also use it to:
- Purchase official test prep
- Sign up for the free TOEFL Search Service
- View, reschedule or cancel your registration
- Apply for or view approved testing accommodations
- View or download your scores
- Order additional score reports or other services
- Update personal information such as your email or mailing address
Your ID requirements depend on where you plan to take the test and your citizenship. Review both the country-specific and general ID requirements below.
General ID Document Requirements
With few exceptions, ID documents must meet all of the following requirements. Each ID document must:
- be an original document; photocopied documents are not acceptable, and documents cannot be presented on a mobile phone or any other electronic device
- be a government-issued national/state/province identity card that is issued and recognized by the country where you are a citizen or resident
- be valid; expired documents are not acceptable
- include your full name exactly matching the name you used to register, excluding accents or diacritical marks
- include a recent, recognizable photograph
- include your signature(the name on the ID and the signature name must match)
Unacceptable ID Documents
The following documents are not acceptable as primary or supplemental ID under any circumstances:
- International driver’s license
- Draft classification card
- International student ID
- Credit/debit card of any kind
- Notary-prepared letter or document
- Birth certificate
- Social Security card
- Employee ID card
- Any temporary ID card
- Diplomatic, consulate or embassy ID card
Unable to Meet ID Requirements
If you have been granted political asylum, have refugee status or are otherwise unable to meet the ID requirements, you must contact the ETS Office of Testing Integrity (OTI) at least 7 days before you register. You must receive approval from OTI before you register. Be prepared to submit any requested documents for review. If you don’t contact OTI and as a result you can’t take the test or your scores are held or cancelled, your test fee will not be refunded.
The TOEFL iBT® test is administered more than 60 times a year at authorized test centers around the world, giving you plenty of options. Timing is important though, as seats can fill up quickly!
- Pick a test date that’s at least 2 to 3 months before your earliest deadline.
- Register approximately 4 months before your desired test date.
- Walk-in registration at test centers is not permitted.
Before You Register
- Familiarize yourself with the fees, accepted forms of payment and payment policies.
- Be sure the name you use when you register exactly matches the identification you’ll bring on test day.
- ETS is committed to serving test takers with disabilities or health-related needs.
How to Register
The easiest way to register is with your ETS account, either online or via the TOEFL® official app, but you can also register by phone or by mail. Select the method you wish to use below to learn more and get started.
After You Register
Once your online registration is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email with the test date, start time and test center address. This information is also available via your ETS account. Plan to log in to your account the day before your test to make sure that none of the registration details have changed (for example, a different time or building than originally scheduled).
Cancel or Change Registration
If you need to reschedule or cancel your registration, you must do so at least 4 full days before your test date. For example, if your test is on Saturday, you must reschedule or cancel by Tuesday.
The fee to reschedule is US$60 and must be paid before you can register for a new test appointment.
You can only reschedule or cancel by one of the methods below:
- Through your ETS account, either online or via the TOEFL®official app.
- By phone.Be prepared to provide your appointment number and the full name you used when you made the appointment
- Note:You can’t reschedule or cancel by mail or email, or at the test center.
If you cancel your registration before the 4-day deadline, you’ll receive a refund for 50% of the original test fee you paid. (The balance is retained to cover expenses for processing your registration and holding a seat for you at the test center.) No refunds are given for other services.
What Is the Retest Policy?
The required waiting period between tests is only 3 days, which allows for testing on consecutive weekends, giving you more opportunities to test and helping you meet urgent deadlines. You can take the test as many times as you wish.
What Does It Cost?
Here are the fees associated with taking the TOEFL iBT test.
|Registration||Fees vary by testing location.|
|Reinstatement of canceled scores||US$20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||US$20 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section score review||US$80|
|Speaking and Writing Section score review||US$160|
Fees are subject to change without notice. The above amounts are inclusive of any Value Added or similar taxes that ETS is liable to pay. In jurisdictions where the customer is required to account for any local taxes due, the price remitted to ETS excludes those taxes. In those circumstances, it is the sole responsibility of the customer to pay those taxes to the local tax authority. ETS is not responsible or liable for collecting and remitting those taxes on the customer’s behalf.
Instructions for Using Acceptable Forms of Payment
- American Express, Discover, JCB, China Union Pay®, Diners Club, Mastercard or VISA are accepted.
- Note:Only VISA cards are accepted in Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and Togo. No other cards are accepted.
- When you select credit/debit card as your payment method, you have the option to pay in select local currencies instead of U.S. dollars. You can change your selection at any time before you click “Submit” to process your payment. The system will display available local currencies and the credit card types supported for each.
Electronic Check (e-check)
E-checks must be drawn on a bank in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada, in U.S. dollars only. Please provide the following information from the bottom of your paper check:
- Bank account number
- ABA/bank routing and transit number
- Your bank account may be debited the same day we receive your request.
- You will not receive a cancelled check.
- When paying with an e-check, you authorize ETS to make a one-time deduction from your checking or savings account.
Paper Check or Money Order
The check must be:
- in U.S. dollars
- made payable to ETS-TOEFL
- signed by the account holder or an authorized signer
Typewritten payer name and address, in place of signature, is not acceptable. The following information must be preprinted on the check:
- bank name
- bank address
- check or money order number
- payer’s name and address
- Post-dated checks are not accepted.
- Check dates cannot be more than 90 days old when received by ETS.
Unacceptable Forms of Payment
- cash or demand drafts
- post-dated checks
- any currency other than U.S. dollars (for payments not made by credit/debit card)
- receipts for bank checks
- UNESCO coupons
- Western Union
TOEFL iBT® SCORES
The reputation and high standards of the TOEFL test mean that your TOEFL scores help you stand out to admissions officers. Your scores provide:
- a true reflection of your abilities in the way they’re used in an actual classroom
- fair and unbiased scores from a centralized scoring network, not a test center
GETTING YOUR SCORES
How Do You Get Your Scores?
Through your ETS account
You can view your scores in your ETS account approximately 6 days after your test date. You’ll receive an email when your scores are available, and you can access your account online or via the official TOEFL® app.
Your scores are valid for 2 years, so you may want to download and print a PDF copy of your test taker score report from your account. PDF score reports are ready for download within 8 days after your test, or you can view this list of dates (PDF) for an estimated availability date. Note: PDF score reports are currently not available for tests taken in Mainland China.
If you requested a paper copy of your score report before you took the test, it will be mailed within 11 days after your test date. Delivery times will vary based on local postal services.
How Do Score Recipients Receive Your Scores?
Designated score recipients who receive official scores electronically can receive them as early as 6 days after your test date. Score reports are sent approximately 11 days after your test date.
Understanding Your Scores
What Do Your Scores Mean?
You will receive 4 scaled section scores and a total score.
- Each section has a score range of 0–30.
- These are added together for a total score of 0–120.
Each skill has 4 or 5 proficiency levels, so where your score falls within that range tells you your proficiency for that skill.
Below Low-Intermediate (0–3)
Below Low-Intermediate (0–8)
Below Basic (0–9)
Below Basic (0–6)
Did You Pass?
There are no passing or failing scores set by the TOEFL Program or ETS. Each institution or agency sets its own score requirements.
How Is the Test Scored?
TOEFL tests are only scored by a centralized scoring network, never at the test center. The Reading and Listening sections are scored by computer. The Speaking and Writing sections are scored by a combination of automated AI scoring and multiple, highly trained human raters.
Before the Test
Your test fee includes up to 4 free official TOEFL® score reports to be sent to the TOEFL Destinations that you select before you take the test. You can add or delete score report recipients through your ETS account, either online or via the TOEFL® official app, until 10 p.m. (local test center time) on the day before your test.
Score delivery time can vary based on how your designated score recipients receive scores (all times approximate):
- ETSData Manager: 6–8 days
- ScorelinkService: 8–10 days
- Postal Mail: 9–11 days plus mailing time. Allow an additional 7–10 days for mail delivery in the United States, and 4–6 weeks for mail delivery to other locations. For information specific to your postal system, contact your post office.
After the Test
Your scores are valid for 2 years after your test date. During that time, you can order additional score reports for a fee of US$20 per institution/agency in 1 of 3 ways:
Through Your ETS Account
- Access your account online or via the TOEFL official app and use the “Send Additional Score Reports” option.
- Pay by credit/debit card, e-check or PayPal®.
- Score reports are mailed 3–5 business days after your request is received.
- Fill out the TOEFL iBT®Additional Score Report Request Form (PDF).
- Fax the completed form with your appointment number and credit/debit card information to +1-610-290-8972.
- If you send the same fax more than once, write “DUPLICATE” in large letters on the form to avoid extra charges to your credit/debit card.
- Score reports are mailed 10 business days after your request is received.
- Complete the TOEFL iBT Additional Score Report Request Form (PDF).
- Mail it with your payment to: